To set up a model high quality, world class breast cancer service for Bangladeshi women and to assist NHS by working towards raising awareness, preparing Bangladeshi women to be more compliant to current Breast Cancer treatment pathway in UK, by means of a social enterprise development. Already, started a local clinic in Dhaka, Bangladesh, which is nearly 5 years old and have got good response to serve local women, who can not afford or have not got access to better treatment.
Tasmia Tahmid Breast Care
Like any other country, Breast cancer is one of the most highly diagnosed cancers amongst women in Bangladesh. Not only is it imperative for woman to regularly check herself, it’s also essential to have easy access to first rate services. Tasmia Tahmid Breast Care, located on Level-6, at DIPHAM Hospital, Road no-27, Dhanmondi, Dhaka, is a dedicated self-contained Breast Care Unit utilising the latest technology, diagnostic equipment. It offers a premium breast cancer service with strong link with top UK Breast units through Teleconferencing, designed to provide patients with a seamless breast care pathway, from first visit to diagnosis and treatment.
After graduation, I completed my internship training in General Surgery and in Medicine,and their main subspecialties, in prestigious 1600 bedded teaching hospital , Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Bangladesh.
As a House Officer in Surgery, I had very good opportunity to learn the management of emergency and elective surgical patients. I did some minor operations, including excision of lipoma, sebaceous cyst, taking biopsy, incision and drainage of perineal, gluteal, peri-anal abscesses. Under supervision, I did Appendicectomy, repair of Hernias, removal of Breast lump, repair of perforated peptic ulcer. I acquired knowledge of gastroduodonoscopy, laparoscopy, colonoscopy from my Professor. During my second half of surgical rotation as a House Officer, I worked in Orthopaedics, Accident and Emergency, Urology, Plastic and Burns unit, Paediatric surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT and Neurosurgery.
In A&E, I developed skills in resuscitation and management of major trauma patients, management of wounds and suturing, removal of foreign body. I had very good experience in managing acute medical emergencies, like myocardial infarction, pneumothorax, acute asthma, poisoning, acute epileptic seizure, pulmonary oedema, pulmonary embolism etc. Actively participated in inter- departmental meetings and audit meetings. In Urology, I have familiarised myself with Flexible cystoscopies and its various applications and major operations like, cystectomy with ileal conduit. Attended out- patient department.
Gained experience in managing acute and chronic retention of urine. In Orthopaedics and Trauma, I have learnt managing fractures, release of carpal tunnel, tendon repair, application of plasters, as well as managing major trauma patients, head injury patients. I assisted in many operations; like manipulations of fractures, surgery for fractured neck of femur by dynamic hip screw or hemiarthroplasty, paraphimosis, testicular lump, prostatic carcinoma. As SHO in Surgery, I have gained very valuable experience in managing pre- and post- operative patients. I have done many rigid sigmoidoscopies with biopsy. Performed Appendicectomy , incision and drainage of peri-anal abscesses, assisting in Hartman’s operation, hemicolectomy, excision and anastomosis, Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, colonoscopies, hernia repair, mastectomy with reconstruction, multiple avulsions and ligation of great saphenous vein, repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.
The honorary post of SHO in General Surgery in Dhaka, Bangladesh, gave me good theoretical ground to pass Primary MRCS (Edinburgh). As a SpR in General Surgery, I gained more experience and confidence to perform procedures independently. As a Senior SpR in Breast Surgery, I had opportunity to work in onco-plastic breast surgery by consolidating my experience and knowledge and skills. Now, as a Lead breast surgeon in Dhaka, Bangladesh, I am enjoying independent work, where there is a mixture of feelings of both success and responsibility and to share the experience , the outcome between the team members. I feel great about starting a comprehensive breast care unit for both cancerous and non-cancerous breast diseases in the capital city of my home country and I hope I can deliver a highest quality care, with all my training and skills, which I have learnt from most renowned teaching hospitals in London for the last many years.
- Breast Health series- part-1-7 , ‘The Daily Star’ news paper, mostly read national newspaper in Bangladesh. - Read More
- Article on awareness for Breast Cancer on 26th October 2011- in ‘Prothom Alo’-mostly read Bangali Newspaper in Bangladesh. - Read More
- Abstract on –‘Sentinel node biopsy-minimum nodal yield’. Submitted to Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland conference –May 2009. - Read More
- Abstract on “Saline Instillation into surgical cavity is a novel way of improving cosmesis after breast surgery”, 7th Breast Conference in Madrid,June’07.
- Co-author of Medical admission Guidebook in Dhaka, Bangladesh in 1994.
- Presentation at Joint Conference 2008, at Dhaka, Bangladesh. Sentinel node biopsy-which one is the true SLN?
- Presentation at Joint Conference 2008, at Dhaka, Bangladesh. ‘Triple assessment-can we afford it?’
- Presentation at Seminar at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University on 27 th February 2008 Topic-Symptomatic Breast Disease: Recommended strategies to adopt.
- Many presentations in interdepartmental meetings, weekly academic sessions at work places.
- Case Presentation on “Down’s Syndrome”-- Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Bangladesh. September 1995.
- Case Presentation on “Breast Lump”-- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. November 1999.
- E-tutor for MSc in Surgical Sciences for The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, since 2011 to date.
- Teaching Medical students at King’s College Hospital.
- Examiner for UCL students MBBS Revision course at Chase Farm Hospital on 5th May’06.
- Senior Lecturer and Assistant Director- in two top Medical Coaching Centres in Dhaka-‘Shuveccha’ and ‘The Opsonin’, for seven years.
- Taught students for preparation of National Medical Admission Test.
- Taught, developed and implemented courses, in Medical admission for students after passing Secondary Level.
- Taught undergraduate medical students and nurses. Continuing to teach whenever possible at work.
- Simple and modified radical mastectomy
- LD flap Reconstruction with expander
- Skin sparing Mastectomy
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Subcutaneous mastectomy for gynaecomastia
- Wide excision and wire guided excision of Breast lump
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Axillary clearances(level III)
- Reduction mammoplasties
- Major duct excision
- Nipple reconstruction
- Breast augmentation
- Assisted in endoscopic mastectomy
- Exchange of breast implants
- Correction of scar deformity in breasts
Our team brings together professionals with experience and expertise in a range of disciplines. The team’s collaboration strengthens the individual treatment plan, encourages patient involvement and ensures a continuous flow of communication. This underlying spirit of cooperation fosters a climate of trust and concern that is conducive to healing.
Healthy tips for breast care